Storm Season Preparedness
To receive early warning notifications when bad weather is approaching in your area, please sign up for the Brown County Code Red Weather Warning Service
. The City of Brownwood also uses CivicReady
to send emergency alerts and notifications.
Emergency Supply Kits
It is important for families to have a basic emergency supply kit to last them at least 3 days in case disaster strikes.
The kit should include:
- 1 gallon of water per person per day
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather radio; extra batteries for both
- Can opener for food
- Dust masks, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape
- First aid kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Food, at least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- Local maps
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Prepare for EmergenciesStaying informed is an important way to prepare your family. You can learn more ways to prepare at: txready.org.
Build a Kit
Prepare your kit using a portable container such as a tote, duffel bag, or large backpack following the packing example provided above, which lists supplies that you may want to have in an emergency kit. It is important to remember that this is not an exhaustive list and that individual needs such as medications, identification, contact information, items for the care of small children or pets need to be addressed when preparing an emergency kit. Visit txready.org
to download your check list.
Make a Plan
Make sure your family knows where to go if you get separated in an emergency. It is recommended that you download and print out a Family Emergency Plan, provided at txready.org
. Information provided there will help give you guidance to preparing a plan, preparing for unique family considerations, and how to practice your family emergency plan.